Today, I was sadden to hear about another passing of a friend. My fellow agility friend BJ passed away. She was 11 year old golden retriever and her cancer got a toll on her life. The fondest memories I remember of BJ’s was the constant friendliness and wagging tail. One would never know her underlying bout with cancer. I know that it is very difficult to loose your pet, best friend. I would like to extend the following advise and tips:
- Allow yourself (family) to mourn the loss of your pet.
- Tell your friends and family about your loss. However, be prepared for some very different reactions. There will be some who would think you’re odd for mourning the loss of your pet. Try to talk to someone who understands.
- Remember by doing something in memory of your pet. (blogs, photos, stories …)
- Move on … You will have good days and very bad days. Eventually, good days will gradually increase and for sure you will be left with great memories of your pet.
- Find a comfort from your pets. Just keep in mind that pets are very sensitive to human emotions. Do try to contain your grief when around your other pets. Be happy for your pet’s life.
- Don’t be afraid to get a new pet right away. A new pet brings laughter and smile … even if it is the last thing you feel doing. However, keep in mind that every pet is different. You can not compare your old pet to your new pet. You will always remember your old pet’s memories and nothing can take its place.
- Find comfort on internet sites and organization:
- www.aplb.org Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement Website
- www.in-memory-of-pets.com In Memory of Pets
- www.petloss.com Pet Loss
Hope this is helpful and comforting at the same time.
Raising Addie says
We are sooo sorry to hear about your friend BJ. We hope that she was not in too much pain. That is the thing about strong dogs. They keep so much on the inside that you just never know truly what is going on inside.
You are one smart cookie Sugar!
This was a wonderful post!
Lots of Luv & Kisses
Addie and Lucie
Dino and Family says
Sorry to hear about BJ. The wonderful time you had together will live in your heart forever! Thanks for sharing these tips! Love, Dino
Kevin the Collie says
Thanks for the post. We lost Kevin the day before Christmas, and the pain is intense. I know it will get better, but we miss him like hell. Please give Sugar a big hug from me,
So sad… I recently lost 3 pets It is always sad when a pet dies