Fleas can pose a serious problem to your pet’s health.
Fleas are small dark brown wingless insects. A flea has strong back legs which enable it to jump from host to host or from the environment to host.
3 Things You Need To Know About Fleas
1) There are over 2,500 different types of fleas in the world. The most common is the Ctenocephalides felis, or cat flea. These cat fleas have been known to also bite dogs and humans too.
2) Fleas multiply quickly and spread at an alarming rate. It is crucial to handle flea problems as soon as you notice it.
How to spot fleas on your pet?
a) Use a FLEA COMB instead of a regularly brush.
b) If your pet is SCRATCHING a lot, it might be a sign he/she has fleas.
c) If you can spot FLEA DIRT on your pet’s skin and fur coat. Flea dirt looks like black pepper or small dark specks of dirt.
3) A flea bite is a discomfort for your pet. It can cause several health issues such as
a) Allergies: Your pet can develop a skin allergy from a flea bite.
b) Tapeworms: There’s a possibility your pet can accidentally swallow a flea. One way is when your pet licks or chews at a flea bite area. It’s dangerous if that flea is a host to a tapeworm egg as it will grow in your pet’s intestines. For proper tapeworm treatment and medication, see your veterinarian immediately.
c) Anemia: Your pet could become anemic due to fleas feeding off his/her blood supply.
2 Ways to Prevent Fleas
1) As a Pet Parent, be Proactive and Educate yourself about fleas. It is important that you know how to detect fleas and understand a Flea Life Cycle. Don’t wait until you see an adult flea, stage four of Flea Life Cycle, wherein a flea finds a host and begins its feeding process.
2) Use a Preventive Product for fleas. For the past months, Sugar has been wearing the Seresto collar. The Seresto collar has a release technology which promises to deliver an 8 month protection from fleas. To learn more about Seresto Collar and other products of Bayer, we invite you to check PetParents.com. Sign-up and save $20 on Seresto.
Fleas are active any time of year, so year-round prevention is essential.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Bayer/Seresto and the Pet Blogger Network. I am being compensated for helping spread the word about Seresto product but Golden Woofs only shares information we feel is relevant to our readers. Bayer/Seresto is not responsible for the content of this article.