A Pet Safety Reminder to Pet Parents: Keep your pets away from Halloween candy.
3 Reasons: Halloween Candy Dangers To Pets
1) Xylitol – Many Halloween candies contain xylitol, an artificial sweeter. It is harmful and can be fatal to your dog’s health. It causes a sudden release of insulin in the dog’s body that leads to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Xylitol can also cause liver damage in dogs. Xylitol toxicity can occur in as few as 30 minutes after ingestion. For cats, feline toxicity is unknown.
2) Theobromine – Chocolate is one of the most common causes of pet poisoning. Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical that is toxic to pets especially when ingested in large quantities. Unlike humans, pets body cannot break down the toxic compound found in chocolate.Chocolates are poisonous to pets.
According to ASPCA Poison Control “as little as 20 ounces of milk chocolate or 2 ounces of baking chocolate can cause problems for a 10 pound dog.”
3)Wrappers – Candy wrappers are extremely dangerous to pets. Ingestion of candy foil wraps or cellophane wrappers can cause choking. It can also cause intestinal obstruction, which often requires surgical intervention. Pets have super sense of smell, make sure not to leave any Halloween candies within reach of your pets.
If you suspect your pet has ingested Halloween candy, seek immediate help. Call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
Make your own Frosty Halloween Dog Treats
Frosty Blueberries Halloween Skulls
Creepy Crawlers Frosty Treats
Definitely Tuesdays Just Got Tastier.
This is a Blog Hop I am co-hosting with my doggie pal Kol.
Click Here to for more information and rules of the hop.
If you are joining our Tasty Tuesday Blog Hop, Golden Thanks!
Don’t forget to grab the Hop’s Badge and post it along with your blog post. Hop’s badge is located on the Tasty Treat Recipe Page.
Lots of Golden Thanks.
Happy Tasty Tuesday!
Blog Hop Ended
Ann Staub says
Looks like you are ready to go trick-or-treating! Great reminders for everyone you shared today. Hopefully less dogs will get sick this year.
Lauren Miller says
This is such an excellent post!! 😀
What an awesome post!!! LOVE the photos!! Sugar, you are looking so festive!! Excellent reminders for all. Happy Tasty Tuesday!
xo Chloe and LadyBug
Since Bailie moved in, everything is locked up around here as she steals and eats everything. Good advice!
Chewy the Golden says
Last Halloween, I swallowed a sock I picked off the street. It was off to the emergency vet’s for me!
Such fun fall pictures. Thanks for all the tips! Happy Tasty Tuesday.
Great tips and reminder! Love those creepy crawly treats 🙂
madi and mom says
Hey Sugar great PSA. Thankfully no one around here has a sweet tooth….we don’t keep candy in the house.
Hugs madi your bfff
Sugar, you always know the right things to say about dog treats and people treats. Fortunately for my dogs, the people treats are kept high on a shelf, and the people eat them too quickly for it to be a danger to our dogs. 🙂
Two French Bulldogs says
We will be sure to spread the word
Lily & Edward
I always tried to get the sweet thingies, so my mom made two hard decisions: the weimaraner (that’s me) has to stay in the living room while the kiddies run around. and she replaced the candy with small toys, jig saws and crayons and other small things what I ignore. now all are happy, except the dentists lol
Molly The Wally says
The creepy crawlers are great Sugar. Have a terrific tasty Tuesday.
Best wishes Molly
M. K. Clinton says
Great tips. We no longer hand out trick or treat candy, but we do check the yard for wrappers or dropped candy. Our neighborhood is insane of Halloween. We used to participate every year when the kids were living at home, but we turn the lights off now. That candy was getting super expensive as more and more kids (and older teens/adults) started invading our streets! Haha!
Dory and her Mama says
Thanks for the great reminder Sugar AND the great recipes!!!
Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo
Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady says
Great tips and great treats!!
ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!
Yes! We must be very careful with the candy and keep it out of reach.
I love how cute the spooky dog treats you made are. I’ll have to try making them for Petal. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
Sugar always looks too cute to handle – I can’t barely stand it!
Good reminders – dogs may think they want Reese’s as much as any of us, but it’s not a good idea!
Beamer hates that chocolate could hurt him. He LOVES chocolate.
I’ve found carob chips at health food stores and treat him to a few every now and then to curb his chocolate craving 🙂
Daisy C Chan says
I love this post! So informative and I love the alternatives we can make for our own dog. Awesome and thank you!