Summer brings sunny days, outdoor fun adventure, tasty cold treats, and relaxation. Unfortunately, Summer also brings thunderstorms and fireworks. Some dogs can be frightened by the change in air pressure and loud noises. There are many ways to help your dog calm during these stressful events.
6 Ways to Help Your Dog Calm During Thunderstorms and Fireworks
1. Safe Place: Create a place where your dog feel safe, such as a crate.
2. Distraction: Shift your dog’s focus from the noises by utilizing a distraction, such as providing special a treat in a Kong and/or playing fun games.
3. Music: Studies shows many dogs respond to music. Play some calming music such as instrumental/classical.
4. Stay Calm Too: Don’t add to your dog’s anxiety. Most dogs are highly sensitive to their owner’s energy. Make sure to also use a calm voice when communicating with your dog.
5. Thundershirt: Try a Thundershirt, a natural remedy to alleviate dog’s anxiety. Thundershirt provides constant but gentle pressure on your dog’s body. 80% of dogs who wear a thunder shirt show fewer symptoms of anxiety. Check out Thundershirt’s success stories. Thundershirt from Thunderworks comes in a variety of colors, sizes and the opportunity to embroider your dog’s name.
6. Behavioral Specialist: If your dog continues to be anxious, consult an Animal-Behavioral Specialist. A behaviorist can assess your dog’s body language by how he/she reacts to certain situations.
How do you keep your dog calm during thunderstorms and fireworks?
Golden Thanks to Thunderworks for providing Sugar a Thundershirt. Golden Woofs was not compensated for this post. Golden Woofs only shares information we feel relevant to our readers.
Do you have an anxious dog? Have you tried the ThunderShirt?