Does your dog loves Bath Time? Sugar is a golden retriever who loves water and always enjoys a refreshing bath. I started giving Sugar baths at home since she was a young pup. We always have fun pleasurable bath moments.
For some dogs and dog parents, bath times can be stressful. To have a pleasant bath time it is important to prepare your dog; no matter what age, breed and size.
Tips For Bathing Your Dog
3 Tips: Preparing Your Dog For A Bath
1. Find a creative way to make your dog associate “bath time” to something he/she loves.
2. Familiarize your dog with the bathtub (or bath area), the sounds of water & dryer and grooming tools that you’ll be using during & after the bath.
3. Help your dog to trust you; handing his/her paws, face, tail, and body (actions necessary to wash your dog).
3 Tips: Before Bathing Your Dog
1. Thoroughly brush your dog’s fur and remove all tangles and mats.
2. Prepare to do a mini-grooming like cleaning your dog’s ears and trimming/filing your dog’s nail.
3. For safety, remove your dog’s collar/harness/leash. If needed, use soft nylon or cotton collar/leash.
5 Tips: Bathing Your Dog
1. Find a suitable place to give your dog a bath.
We have a spacious indoor bathroom that is used for Sugar’s emergency bath. If the weather is nice, Sugar gets an outdoor bath. Most of the time, Sugar goes to a local doggy “self-wash” establishment.
2. Water temperature is critical to your dog’s bath time enjoyment. Make sure it’s warm but not too hot.
3. Choose the right water nozzle. It plays an important role for bathing your dog.
4. Make sure to use a shampoo made for dogs. There are several dog shampoos on the market; use a good quality shampoo that best suits your dog’s need.
Sugar uses several kinds of shampoo; depending on the weather and her skin condition. Sugar’s most recent bath, she used PL360 foaming oatmeal shampoo.
5. Drying a wet dog can be stressful. A super absorbent dog towel is a must. We are a big fan of Soggy Doggy Super Shammy. We’ve been a consumer of Super Shammy since 2013. It is so great that we’ve recommended to our local doggy “self-wash” establishment.
Super Shammy is microfiber chenille dog towel. It is super absorbent, 5x more absorbent than regular cotton towels. It has triangle corners to provide “2 pockets”, where you can place your hands and have more control on drying your dog’s fur. What’s the secret of Super Shammy? From their packaging, it says, “The Super Shammy is made from millions of textured, ultra-fine strands woven together, so the surface area of the towel is much greater than meets the eye! The increased surface allows it to dry faster than regular cotton towels (and it remains bacteria and odor-free too!).” (from our review post: Soggy Dog in Cloud Star & Got Super Shammy)
Below is a fun BATH video from Soggy Doggy featuring their two best products the Doormat and Super Shammy.
Super Shammy is also great to use for a “wet dog” on rainy days and doggy beach adventures. We invite you to check Soggy Doggy: Super Shammy; Winner of Dog Fancy 2012 Editor’s Choice. Connect with Soggy Doggy on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. Our friends from Soggy Doggy is providing one of our readers/fans a Super Shammy. Follow the giveaway tool instructions to join.
Do you give your dog a bath?
Bathing your dog can be a fun, pleasurable bonding moment.