On our last trip to San Diego, Kia provided us a 2015 Kia Sportage SX T-GDI to test drive. It was delightful driving the Kia Sportage just like the Kia Soul “Alien” we previously reviewed. Kia Sportage SX T-GDI was a pawfect vehicle for Sugar’s dog-friendly travel to San Diego.
Kia Sportage is considered a compact crossover vehicle (CUV). A CUV means that it is built on a car platform that includes sport utility vehicle (SUV) features. Kia sent us a fully loaded Signal Red Sportage.
Before I share, our driving experience with Kia Sportage, I would like share information about four major points about Kia Motors. When you buy a vehicle, it is important to not only learn about the car but also learn more about the brand.
1. Kia Motors Corporation is founded in South Korea and the oldest manufacturer of motor vehicles. In 1992, Kia Motors embraced the US automobile market sold their first Kia vehicles Sephia, in Portland, Oregon. Then Kia expanded and added the Sportage.
2. In 1997, during the Asian financial crisis, Kia declared bankruptcy in which started Hyundai Motor Company partial acquisition. At the present, Kia Motors is the sister company of Hyundai Motor Company (owns a 34% stake in Kia).
3. In February 2010, Kia Motors America manufacturing opened in George.
4. In August 2014, Kia received international attention when Pope Francis visited South Korea and rode in the Kia Soul.
Kia Sportage Dog Friendly Travel
1. The Sportage is the oldest Kia’s line of vehicle and has gone through many changes both interior and exterior. The 2015 Sportage we drove provided a car-like handling. I was surprised when I sat in the driver seat to have an unobstructed view of the road (not all CUV or SUV that I tried have an unobstructed view due to the hood size). The power seats and height-adjustable steering wheel added to the comfort of driving.
2. Spacious interior but not overwhelming. Sugar had lots of room in the back seat. Definitely, it can accommodate two crates (when the back seat is folded down). The trunk is a good size and enough space to handle multiple luggage. There are “special secret” handy compartments beneath the cargo floor and are perfect to keep important car & travel necessities. Also, the roof rails are available for additional travel racks and can support extra cargos
from FB doggie friends Bo and Willow, owners of a Kia Sportage
“We love our Kia Sportage! It appears small and compact, yet so roomy inside! We took a mountain trip, with three people, two dogs, and all our gear! We all rode comfortably, and it drives likes a dream over the mountain passes!”
“Lots of options with the fold down seats and /or just folding one seat down! It gives our babies, Bo and Willow, plenty of rooms to stretch out and enjoy the ride! We love everything the Kia Sportage has to offer, we adore our Sportage and have enjoyed it for over three years now!”
PawPrintsDogBlog: Bo & Willow
3. As a sporty crossover vehicle with a 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder, fun-to-drive. The rear suspension provided our drive an adequate shock absorption.
4. Of all the vehicles we tested and drove, Kia has the best high-tech interior. Awesome navigation system. The colorful display made it easier to understand the directions. The optional UVO eServices Informant System was convenient to sync with our mobile devices via the multimedia console. The Bluetooth technology allowed us to connect hands-free phone calls.
5. Safety Features: We felt safe and protected by side curtain airbags. The driver and front passenger has front and seat-mounted airbags. Also from the specs, when all of the wheels lose contact with the road, a safety “rollover sensor” will deploy airbags.
1. We occasionally encountered some rough, bumpy rides. One reason it is important to buckle up your dog and secure your dog’s crate properly.
2. Not so “friendly” in terms of fuel efficiency. We have to gas up on our way back. Typically, our trips to San Diego can handle a full tank of gas, round trip.
3. The sleek, aerodynamic design specifically on the windows created a hassle. After placing Sugar in the back seat, the extended curves unexpectedly hit me several times when I am outside closing the door.
CUV(SUV) vehicles are the best for watching sunset
Lots of Golden Thanks to Kia for allowing us to test drive the 2015 Kia Sportage SX T-GDI.
Sugar, Dog Friendly Car Reviewer
We invite you to visit Kia.com to read more about Sportage standard and optional features. Also, check out your local Kia dealers. Test drive a Kia Sportage. Most Kia dealership are dog-friendly and understand your buying needs as a pet parent.
What is your vehicle for dog friendly travel?
easy rider says
I love CUV’s and I like KIA, specially that they offer a warranty here for whole 7 years :o)
Barbara Rivers says
That’s so cool that your pack got to test drive the KIA! I am all for SUVs/CUVs as far as transporting our pups is concerned. The fuel efficiency (or lack thereof) is the only downfall in my opinion.
Golden Daily Scoop says
Love the shot of Sugar watching the sunset from the back of the KIA! Great review!!
Jane C says
Thank you for including us! We love our Kia! We enjoy taking it on our Colorado adventures, which always include Bo and Willow! #drivekia
Earl Lover says
Looks like a brilliant car!
Idaho PugRanch says
Wow I can’t believe you get to test cars! thanks for this great review
Mr Bailey, Hazel & mabel
Sugar you look so snazzy in this Kia vehicle! Glad to see your friends Bo and Willow also enjoy their Sportage 🙂 I think those special compartments should be filled with treats, don’t you? Golden woofs on this Happy Monday!
Madi and Mom says
What a pretty red Kia!
Hugs madi your bfff