To maintain a healthy and fit lifestyle, I continue to be active. My fit dog, Sugar, has been my buddy. If you’ve been a follower of our blog, you’ve seen our running and stair climb posts. Two favorite workouts I love doing with Sugar. Being 14 years old, Sugar continues to be active and still enjoys running. Since moving to sunny SoCal, our lifestyle is getting more active.
I’m thrilled to share that I am 2015 Fit Foodie Ambassador for Cooking Light & Health, San Diego. The Fit Foodie 5K Race is dog-friendly, and Sugar will be my running buddy. We only participated in walking events, so this is our first running event.
Cooking Light & Health Fit Foodie, San Diego is a 3-day, November 6-8, jam-packed celebration of fitness, food and fun. A percentage of ticket and merchandise sales benefit The American Diabetes Association, whose mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.
Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it.
– Oprah Winfrey
How is Sugar preparing for her 1st 5K run?
1. Vet Approved – I made sure to check with Sugar’s vet. On our last vet visit, Sugar received great compliments. “Continue doing the activities Sugar loved to keep her healthy and happy.” from Sugar’s vet
2. Diet & Supplements – Making sure Sugar has a nutritious, healthy diet. As a senior dog, I’m aware of Sugar’s joint and muscles. She’s on three supplements that help her joints thrive and provide extra energy.
3. Run & Walk – Keeping Sugar safe, we do a run-walk combo. The run-walk combo is very simple: We run for a short segment and then take a walk break–and repeat. This method makes a long run less exhausting.
4. Hydrate – If you’ve been following us, you know Sugar has a “drinking problem” – she does not drink enough water. She’s very picky where the water comes from. I continue to be creative on how to hydrate Sugar before, during and after our run. Sugar loves it when I put pieces of tasty treats in her drinking water.
5. Rest – It is important to get a good Golden Rest. Rest is a MUST for Sugar. I make sure she is well rested before our next run.
For the next weeks, we will share more about Fit Foodie, our practice runs, tips and definitely share some healthy recipes.
If you are from California (or plan to be in San Diego in November) join us and use GOLDENWOOFS for 50% off. To purchase tickets, go to: FitFoodieRun.com/San-Diego-California
We are so excited for the @FitFoodieRun to come Nov6-8! Will we see you there? #RunEatDrink #TweetYourFeet pic.twitter.com/tlcJzIc4qu
— GoldenWoofs (@SugarTheGoldenR) September 30, 2015
IIt’s going to be a delicious and fun event.
I am honored and very excited to be a Fit Foodie Ambassador for Cooking Light & Health The Fit Foodie 5K Race Weekend in San Diego, CA.
Oz the Terrier says
How fun! Ma ran her first 5k (without me) back in March. This sounds like a great event! Congrats on being Ambassadors.
Sugar is amazing!! 14 years old 🙂 Cocoa and I run every day and love it. She doesn’t love getting up in the mornings but once I get her out of the house and we start she loves it. Nothing better than running with her and seeing that smile on her face!!
Madi and Mom says
You go girl…look at that Golden smile and gorgeous fur!
Hugs madi your bfff
Golden Daily Scoop says
Congrats!!! How exciting! Those are some great tips, can’t wait to learn more! Good luck!!!
Earl Lover says
Go guys!!! Excellent! 🙂
Bell Fur Zoo says
How exciting and for such a good cause! Good luck guys 🙂
xoxo, Ginger, Matt & Matilda
Mitch and Molly says
Good for you for staying so active, Sugar! It’s so important to us Seniors!
Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly
Brian Frum says
We are sure proud of you beautiful Sugar and your Golden Smile always warms the heart!