Fall is my favorite season for many reasons: cooler weather, apple picking, lovely colors, and pumpkins – everything pumpkin! Here are some interesting pumpkin fun facts.
15 Pumpkin Fun Facts
1, Pumpkin comes from the Greek word “pepon”, meaning a large melon.
2. In the U.S., over a billion pounds of pumpkin are produced each year.
3. California, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania are the top pumpkin-producing states.
4. Pumpkins are fruit.
5. Pumpkins are a type of squash.
6. Pumpkins are 90 percent water.
7. Pumpkins contain seeds.
8. Pumpkin flowers are edible.
9. Pumpkins are typically shaped like a sphere or ball.
10. There are more than 30 varieties of pumpkins.
11. Pumpkins are traditionally orange but can sometimes be white, yellow, green or red.
12. Pumpkins are a healthy source of vitamin A and vitamin B.
13. Pumpkins are high in fiber, contain potassium, protein, and iron.
14. Pumpkin seeds can be roasted and eat it as a snack.
15. According to the American Pie Council, pumpkin is America’s second favorite kind of pie. Pumpkin pie is a popular Fall and Thanksgiving desert.
Pumpkins are nutritious, healthy for you and your dog. Pumpkin can be baked, roasted, steamed or boiled. Here are some dog treat recipes you can share with your dog.