The National Dog Show is one of the three major and most prestigious dog shows in America.
The National Dog Show takes place every year in Philadelphia.
The Saturday’s National Dog Show presented by Purina is recorded and televised nationwide by NBC, a Thanksgiving TV tradition after Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
The National Dog Show features a variety of different dog breeds competing for the title of Best in Show.
Here are ten things you may not have known about the National Dog Show
1. The National Dog Show is one of the oldest dog shows in the United States. National Dog Show started in 1879 and was created by the Kennel Club of Philadelphia (KCP).
2. The National Dog Show takes place on the third weekend in November and is held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
3. In 2002, NBC Sports started airing The Kennel Club of Philadelphia Dog Show but the show was changed to National Dog Show.
4. Watching the National Dog Show has become a Thanksgiving tradition.
For over 20 years, the National Dog Show has become a must-watch NBC show on Thanksgiving after Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
From the Nielsen ratings, each year the National Dog Show brings in an estimated 20+ million viewers.
5. National Dog Show Emcees
The TV broadcast of the National Dog Show Presented by Purina is hosted by dog lovers John O’Hurley and David Frei. They have co-hosted together since the National Dog Show first aired.
David Frie is known as the “dean of dog show commentators”.
For 27 years, David Frie was the face and voice of the Westminster Kennel Club.
David Frie graces the November/December 2022 issue of Pet Age magazine, a prominent pet industry trade journal.
He is a longtime member of the Kennel Club of Philadelphia (KCP). Last May, he was named Chief Marketing and Communications Officer for the International Kennel Club of Chicago.
David Frie is the founder of Angel on a Leash, a well-known therapy dog organization. He wrote two books about therapy dogs and was awarded by the Dog Writers Association of America (DWAA)
David Frie – “probably the most famous human in the world of canines” – New York Magazine
John O’Hurley and David Frei will reprise their roles as hosts, having co-hosted together since the National Dog Show first aired.
6. There are up to 2,000 top American Kennel Club (AKC) dogs entered in the National Dog Show.
7. There are 205 AKC registered breeds and varieties that are eligible to partake, assigned to one of the seven groups, and compete for the Best of Bred. First in the Group.
8. For the Best In Show competition, there are only seven groups of dogs: the Terrier Group, the Toy Group, the Working Group, the Sporting Group, the Hound Group, the Non-Sporting Group, and the Herding Group. These dogs are the Best of Breed, First in the Group to compete for the coveted title of Best In Show.
9. In addition to the prestigious title, ribbon, and trophy, $20,000 in prize money is awarded to the National Dog Show winner presented by Purina
10. The National Dog Show gives back and help raise money for a variety of canine-related causes. Prior beneficiaries of The Kennel Club of Philadelphia include Morris Animal Refuge, New Leash on Life USA, Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House, The Utley Foundation, and the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine.
2022 National Dog Show
This year the two-day all-breed dog shows will be held on Saturday, November 19, and Sunday, November 20 at Greater Philadelphia Expo Center – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
The Saturday show, November 19th is presented by Purina and will be taped to be televised nationwide on Thanksgiving Day on NBC.
Also, on Saturday show November 19th, Susan Bahary, a renowned sculptor honoring service animals, will be honored as the recipient of The Kennel Club of Philadelphia’s “Dogs’ Best Friend Award” for 2022
This year, the National Dog Show will be the only “benched” show in America. A “benched” show means that dogs and their handlers are required to stay in designated areas throughout the day so the public can meet them and learn about the breeds.
Sunday’s show, November 20th features canine athletic competitions and exhibitions plus fun family-friendly activities.
Where to Watch the 2022 National Dog Show?
The National Dog Show is a two-hour special that airs on Thanksgiving Day, November 24th after the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade; from 12-2 p.m. local time on NBC, Peacock, NBCSports.com, and the NBC Sports app.
Enjoy Thanksgiving Day watching the National Dog Show!