I’m surprised to know that there are several farmlands in our area. Last week, I went on a melon tour at Tanaka Farms, the largest organic farm in Orange County. Farmer Glenn Tanaka and his family own and operate the 30-acres Tanaka Farms located in a valley of Irvine, CA
On the melon tour, I tasted three kinds of watermelon: 1) Seeded Watermelon 2) Seedless Watermelon 3) Yellow Watermelon (my favorite).
The melon tour inspired me to share five facts about watermelon and make a treat.
5 Watermelon Facts and Red & Yellow Watermelon Pops
1) It’s packed with water. Watermelon contains about 91.5 percent water and 6 percent sugar. Its high water content helps keep you hydrated.
2) Watermelon is also a good source of vitamin C, beta-carotene, and lycopene ( the pigment that gives tomatoes, watermelon and pink grapefruit their red color). A watermelon has more lycopene than raw tomatoes.
3) Study finds that about 15 ounces of watermelon juice before a workout can reduce muscle soreness.
4) Watermelon rinds may not be as juicy as the flesh, but it’s edible. It has a bitter flavor, so most people cook it as a vegetable.
5) There’s a yellow watermelon also known as Yellow Crimson. Its flesh has a sweeter honeylike taste.
Watermelons is a favorite Summer fruit and its peak harvest season is May-August. It is available all-year round, produced in the states of Texas, Georgia, Florida, and California.
Can Dogs Eat Watermelon?
In moderation, dogs can eat watermelon. For safety, it is not recommended for dogs to chew on watermelon rind because it can cause gastrointestinal upset.
The melon tour is not dog-friendly. The Tanaka Farms have two furry resident dogs, Val and Bubba. I got to pick watermelons on tour and made a frozen treat to share with SUGAR, Yellow and Red Watermelon Pops.
homemade dog treats cookbook Cooking For Sugar is available on Amazon
easy rider says
the mamam asked all store people for yellow watermelons… no one had a clue… and they also knew no cotton candy grapes…. we are really the old world :o)
Groovy Goldendoodles says
Yellow honeydew melons are super sweet too!
Two French Bulldogs says
That looks fantastic. Mom loves those honeydew melons
Lily & Edward
Sugar I bet you get lots of your daily water requirements too
Hugs Madi your bfff
The OP Pack says
We really do love watermelon!!! We mostly get it when the bipeds are here in the summer. Mom accidentally bought a yellow one a few weeks ago. The kiddos did not like it at all, but that just made a whole lot more for us. We aren’t picky about color:)
Woos – Ciara and Lightning
Dachshund Nola says
Nola’s absolute favorite treat is watermelon!
Family Health says
Great ! Thanks for sharing.