Chives are the most petite member of the onion family. They are related to green onions (aka, scallions) and grow in little clumps of long, thin, hollow green leaves. It is a herb plant whose leaves, seeds, or flowers are used for flavoring food or in medicine.
Since Chives are like onions, if ingested by dogs can cause hemolytic anemia. This means that the red blood cells break down leaving your dog short of oxygen. Onion poisoning can take place with a single ingestion of large quantities. The poisoning may take place a few days after. Your dog will experience gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhea, weakness and show little or no interest in food. A red pigment from the burst blood cells will appear in your dog’s urine. Your dog will also experience shortness of breath because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number. You must seek immediate veterinary care.
Believe me I learned my lesson. I just smell the flowering chives …
Lots of Golden Woofs,