Halloween is the time of the year where many homes have an abundance of sweet treats like chocolate. Did you know chocolate poisoning is always high during Halloween? The veterinarians from Petplan put together and shared with us a step-by-step plan to help dog owners if they find themselves in this situation on Halloween.
Petplan pet insurance found that pets are 32% more likely to suffer food poisoning during Halloween week versus any other time of the year. Among the top toxins? Chocolate!
How do you know when your dog is in danger of chocolate poisoning?
Chocolate is poisonous to dogs because it contains toxic theobromine.
Dog toxicity varies because different types of chocolate have different levels of theobromine. Baking chocolate has the highest concentration and is, therefore, the most toxic – followed by dark, milk and then white chocolate.
3 Things You Need To Know If Your Dog Consumed Chocolate?
1. Know how much theobromine the chocolate contains.
2. How much your dog ate?
3. How much your dog weighs?
If your dog ingests close to 20mg of theobromine per pound of body weight, he/she is in the danger zone for chocolate poisoning.
Milligrams of theobromine per ounce:
Baking chocolate – 450mg/oz
Dark chocolate – 160mg/oz
Milk chocolate – 64mg/oz
White chocolate – 1mg/oz
Calculating how much chocolate is toxic
Multiply the ounces of chocolate ingested by the milligrams of theobromine per ounce and divide that by the weight of the dog in pounds. The closer the resulting number is to 20, the worse the toxic effects will haunt him. For example:
A 25-lb. dog who eats 3 ounces of milk chocolate:
3oz x 64mg/oz = 192/25lbs = 7.7mg/lb (non-toxic level of theobromine)
A 25-lb. dog who eats 3 ounces of dark chocolate:
3oz x 160mg/oz = 480/25lbs = 19.2mg/lb (dangerous level of theobromine)
A number close to 20 indicates a toxic level of theobromine that can terrorize a dog’s health. Take your dog to your veterinarian or emergency clinic immediately.
easy rider says
I hope no dog or cat has to see the vet on howl-o-ween… that chocolate stuff can be absolutely dangerous… and my momma is glad that I don’t like it ….
Golden Daily Scoop says
We have never had any incidents with chocolate, its the wrappers that we have to worry about! 😉
Very informative post!
M. K. Clinton says
This is a great infographic and a very scary problem this time of year. Thanks for sharing it. ☺
Idaho PugRanch says
Thank you for this important information. We actually worry more at easter time when the grandkids come over for the easter egg hunt.
Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel
Thank you for this post. Cocoa got into a chocolate bar I accidentally left in the backseat one day and I was so upset. It didn’t have a lot of chocolate, it was a cookie dough bar, but I was still worried. She was fine but it’s good to know.
Talent Hounds says
Thanks for sharing. Many people are not aware of the dangers. I have to be so careful with Kilo. His second week with me the little ninja stole and ate a whole tray of dark chocolate and nut brownies. He had to go to the vet and get injections to vomit then eat charcoal. It was so traumatic for both of us, he hates that vet now. He also loves dirty tissues with chewing gum (my daughters used to chew). Any candy or gum with xylitol can be deadly as well.
Earl Lover says
So scary. Chocolate is a HUGE NO NO for our beloved dogs.
The OP Pack says
One can never have enough warnings about the risk of chocolate for dogs. Great PSA, Sugar. All our Halloween candy is on the top shelf of a very tall cabinet where we can’t get it.
But we will be happy if we get some dog treats.
Woos – Ciara and Lightning
SUGAR THANKS FOR THE INFO….WE NO LONGER H AVE TRICK OR TREATERS HERE AND WE ARE GLAD FOR LOTS OF REASONS…ME BECAUSE i DON’T LIKE THE DOOR BELL. tHE PEEPS BECAUSE IF THERE IS LEFT OVER CANDY THEY MIGHT EAT IT. MOL MOL
HUGS MADI YOUR BFFF
Reilly & Denny says
Luckily the only chocolate mom likes is white chocolate which has only the tiniest amount of theobromine but even so she would never give us any – she says it is too good to share 🙂 🙂 🙂